The process of expressing road in different patterns/shape is called road patterns. They are very essential to manage high traffic. Road patterns can be classified into six types. They are:
1.Rectangular or Block Pattern
-In this pattern, the whole part is divided into rectangular blocks of the plot which intersects streets at right angles.
-The main road passing through the central area should be sufficiently wide and the branch road may be comparatively narrow.
2. Radial or Star Block Pattern
-In this pattern, the entire area is divided into a network of roads radiating from the central business area.
– The built-up area is planned with a rectangular block system.
3. Radial or Star & Circular Pattern
– In this system, the main radial roads radiating from the central business area are connected together with concentric roads.
– The built-up area is planned with a curve block system.
4. Radial or Star & Grid Patterns
– In this pattern, major radial roads radiate from the central business area.
– Radial roads are interconnected by concentric ring roads that surround the grid types of built-up area.
5. Hexagonal Pattern
-In this pattern, the entire area is provided with a network of roads forming a hexagonal figure.
-At each corner of hexagon, three roads are met.
6. Minimum Travel Pattern
In this road pattern, the city is connected to sector centre, sub-urban centre & neighbourhood centre by the road which required minimum length to connect the city centre.